Finally! Windows 8 is starting to get some quality and helpful apps. The most recent addition in the Store apps includes the unofficial Google Maps app which has all the features of the original Google Maps app for Android, iOS or even of web. You can view the maps your favorite location around the world, select from 4 different views and see the street view using the provided option. You can also get the turn-by-turn navigation or search for your favorite location.
Although, Windows 8 gets the pre-installed ‘Maps‘ app which provides the Bing map imagery but, that app still lacks some major features like street view etc.
Named as ‘G Maps’, this app for Windows 8 seems like the official Google Maps app as it provides all the features of original Google Maps and use their technologies.
G Maps app for Windows 8 has the following features:
- Explore any place of your choice
- Select from 4 different view styles including the Satellite, Hybrid, Maps or Terrain
- Use the street view to see zoomed views of streets
- Use the ‘My location’ button to jump to your location
- Get directions for specific location using the ‘Get directions’ button
- See the turn-by-turn navigation for easy walking paths
- Search for anything using the Search Charm
During my brief testing the app proved itself to be amazing with all the features which you would expect from the official Maps app by Google.
You can check out the high resolution images of G Maps in the gallery below (click to enlarge)
This app is probably one of the must have apps for Windows 8 and I am sure it would soon be available officially by Google.
You can download G Maps from Store under ‘Tools‘ category. It is available for free and has a size of just 155KB.
You can also download the app from the link below.
Download G Maps app (Windows 8/RT)