Registry editor controls many important functions in Windows 8. This tutorial would show, how to restrict access to registry editor in Windows 8 without using any third party app.
Registry can be used to get the old start menu style instead of Metro-UI and aero snap feature can also be switched on for low resolution machines but, it can can be disabled which would also stop the mentioned changes to be done/undone.
Just follow the insructions below to disable registry editor and there is also a video embedded at the end of this article.
- Press ‘Windows + R’.
- ‘Run’ command would open.
- Type ‘gpedit.msc’ in the search box and press ‘ok’.
- ‘Local Group Policy Editor’ would open.
- Navigate to
User Configuration > Administrative Templates > System
- In ‘System’, search for ‘Prevent access to registry editing tools’ and open it.
- Select ‘Enabled’ and press ‘ok’
- Now, again Press ‘Windows + R’.
- In the search box type ‘regedit’ and press ‘ok’
- You would be denied access to registry and error ‘Registry editing has been disabled by your administrator’ would show.
- Now, nobody would be able to access the ‘registry editor’ unless you turn off that option.
- That’s all
Was this post helpful? Subscribe to Windows 8 Core Newsletter, be our follower on Twitter, like us on Facebook or follow us on Google+ to keep yourself updated with all the latest Windows 8 news and Tips & Tweaks.