Many users who are using Windows 8 Developer Preview face many problems in the pre-beta release of Microsoft’s upcoming Windows 8. Among those problems is the Internet Explorer not running in full screen from Metro-UI.
I was also facing the same problem and every try to configure the full screen mode was in vain. I was even starting to think of installing a new copy of Windows 8 Developer Preview. But, fortunately on my last try to fix the problem I was successful and was enable to run full screen IE from Metro-UI.
We thought some others might face that problem so here is the solution but before stating the solution I am explaining the problem I faced.
- Windows 8 Developer Preview supports a full screen IE designed specifically for touch screen devices. The full screen IE can be run from Metro-UI by clicking/taping the IE tile.
- Whenever I clicked the IE tile it took me to desktop and opened the regular IE in Windowed mode, the one found in the previous versions of Windows.
- Whatever you do, IE will would open up in the windowed mode and the normal interface would be shown
Why this problem is occurring:
- After applying about hundreds of different methods to fix the problem I finally found the problem and was shocked to see the result.
- I installed some other browsers and accidently set the one as default. So, IE was no longer the default app to open up all the HTTP files.
- This resulted in the windowed mode of IE instead of full screen mode in the newly designed IE interface
How to Fix the Problem:
You can fix the above mentioned problem by opening up the IE from desktop in Windowed mode
- After opening up IE 10, go to settings menu by clicking the gear icon on the top right corner of your browser and click ‘Internet Options’. (Refer the image)
- A pop-up window will open showing many tabs. Go to ‘Programs’ tab
- In the ‘Programs’ tab click ‘Set Associations’ from the ‘File Associations’ section, it should be the first one from top
- A new pop-up window will open requiring you to ‘set associations for programs’.
- Choose ‘Select All’. Choosing all files is necessary to run IE in full screen mode from Metro-UI
- Click save at the end at the bottom of the windowsand you are done
- Now, open-up IE from Metro-UI by clicking the IE tile and your full screen IE would open
- That’s’ all
Was this post helpful? Subscribe to Windows 8 Core Newsletter, be our follower on Twitter, like us on Facebook or follow us on Google+ to keep yourself updated with all the latest Windows 8 news and Tips & Tweaks.
People searched for the following terms to get here:
- open ie in metro
- open internet explorer in metro
- open ie in metro mode
- run internet explorer in metro
- do not open ie metro how to fix
- windows 10 no metro ui
- ie rt full screen
- how to get full screen on windows 8
- how to go full screen on windows 8 iNtRNEt
- how to open IE in windows UI mode