Windows 8 is just around the corner and the upgrade for Windows 8 from previous OS is very cheap and saves you about $130 when you buy a Windows 8 Pro upgrade. You can upgrade from Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7 but, the things that are kept during the upgrade process is different e.g. upgrading from XP won’t save anything, Vista users can save the files and settings while Windows users will get the files, settings and apps in Windows 8.
- You can read more about things you can preserve while upgrading to Windows 8 here.
Upgrading from previous OS is very easy as compared to installing new OS and we will be guiding you on how to upgrade from previous OS to Windows 8.
Just follow the instructions below and you will be able to upgrade to Windows 8 easily.
Before upgrading, you need to fulfill the following requirements:
- You must have a Windows 8 .iso file or upgrade DVD. You can get Windows 8 from Microsoft.com or pre-order Windows 8 by going to this link.
- Your hard drive must have at-least 16GB of free storage in a single partition (20GB is recommended)
- Your PC must fulfill the whole hardware requirements.
- You would need a mounting software like Daemon tools to mount the .iso file.
Now, after fulfilling all the above requirements, just follow the instruction below to upgrade your Windows 7, Vista or XP to Windows 8.
- First of all, mount your Windows 8 32/64 bit .iso file by using the mounting software or skip to third step if, you have an upgrade DVD.
- After mounting/inserting the DVD, you would see a Windows 8 setup window, if not, then run it manually by opening the mounted drive from My Computer.
- Your Windows 8 setup would open.
- The setup would scan your PC for requirements and notify you what changes you would need to make before installation. You may need to uninstall some software if the setup prompts (I didn’t uninstalled any software in my machine)
- Once checked, your PC would restart. After restart you may need to remount the Windows 8.iso file and re run it. But, choose resume from where the setup left. Your windows 8 setup would continue from where you left it.
- You would be asked for changes which you want to keep. Select ‘files and data’ which would the first option or select the appropriate option.
Note: You may not see the ‘keep’ options if, you are upgrading from Windows XP or Vista.
- Now, your Windows 8 installation will start. After completing the whole installation on reaching the 100%, your PC would restart again.
- Now, this time you will see the Windows 8’s logo instead of your Windows 7, XP or Vista’s logo. The setup will update your registry and then ready your devices.
- Your PC will restart several time during this process.
- After, few restarts and about 10-15 minutes (it may take more on slower devices), you would be taken to the Windows 8 settings where you have to choose different settings like colors, sharing, error reporting and updates installation etc.
- After selecting the above things, your would be showed the Windows 8 out of box (OOBE) tutorial then, the PC will get ready and install the apps.
- In the last, you would be taken to the Start Screen of Windows 8.
- Congratulation! You have the Windows 8.
Your data would be there and all the compatible software would also run. Enjoy the new league of Windows called the “Windows re-imagined“.
You may visit our Tips & Tweaks section for more useful tips, tricks and tweaks about Windows 8.
People searched for the following terms to get here:
- upgrade from vista to windows 8 without losing programs
- upgrade from xp to win 8 without losing any data
- upgrade to windows 8 from vista without losing data
- upgrade to windows 8 from vista without losing programs
- upgrade to windows 8 from xp without losing data
- upgrade vista on desktop without losing old data