Windows 8.1 Preview which was launched a couple of days ago can be upgraded from Windows 8 which will keep you files, apps and settings but, will still install the latest Windows 8.1 update with all new features.
You need to download a huge 2GB or more Windows 8.1 from Windows Store in-order to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1. But, if you have a slow connection or you are using a broadband connection on your Windows 8 PC then, the download from Store would be very slow and might takes hours to download even on a good internet connection. Also, the download may get interrupted due to many reasons and download stops even when you minimize the Store app.
I wasn’t able to download the Windows 8.1 Preview on my Windows 8 Pro with Media Center due to slow download using broadband connection whereas, I was able to download two different copy copies of ISO files of Windows 8.1 Preview from Microsoft while the download from Store reached just 14%. So, I decided to upgrade my Windows 8 Pro to Windows 8.1 using another alternate method.
If you are one of the people who are having problems downloading the Windows 8.1 from Windows Store then, you may follow the instructions below to upgrade to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8.
Before proceeding to the instructions, here are some FAQs about upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 Preview.
Q- Which versions of Windows 8 can be upgraded to Windows 8.1?
Ans- You can upgrade all three versions of Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 including the Windows 8 Core edition, Windows 8 Pro and Windows 8 Enterprise.
Q- What would be kept during the upgrade process?
Ans- Windows 8 Core edition and Windows 8 Pro: You would be able to keep the apps, files and settings while upgrading from Windows 8 Core edition or Windows 8 Pro to Windows 8.1 Preview.
Windows 8 Enterprise: You won’t be able to keep anything while upgrading from Windows 8 Enterprise (trial or full version) to Windows 8.1 Preview.
Q- Will my Windows Media Center be kept in this upgrade?
Ans- No, this method to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 won’t keep the Media Center but, you can install Media Center again in Windows 8.1 by using the same key.
You will also need to fulfill some requirements.
- You will need a Windows 8.1 ISO File which can be downloaded from here.
Note: Download the same version of Windows 8.1 as of your Windows 8 e.g. If Windows 8 is x86 then, download Windows 8.1 Preview in x86 or if Windows 8 is x64 then download Windows 8.1 Preview in x64
- You must save all your files on the PC to a secure location before upgrading. Better safe than sorry.
Now, when you have fulfilled the above requirements, let’s proceed to the instructions to upgrade.
- First of all, open the Windows 8.1 Preview ISO files you downloaded earlier by double clicking it or double tapping it.
- Your Windows 8.1 Preview ISO file will mount automatically and you will see the files in it. You would see the ‘Setup.exe’ file in there. Open it.
- Your Windows 8.1 installer will prepare for installation process.
- Once the installer has prepared, you would be asked to get the latest updates. Check the ‘Go online to install updates now’ and press ‘Next’.
- The installer will check for updates and after installing the updates, you would be taken back to the installer.
- Next, you would be asked to enter the product key of Windows 8.1. Use this key:
- After validating, the ‘Next’ button will be enabled. Press it.
- You will be asked to read and accept the license terms. Check ‘I accept the license terms’ after reading the terms and conditions given. Press ‘Accept’ to continue.
- Next, you would be asked to choose what to keep. I chose, ‘Keep Windows settings, personal files and apps’ since I was upgrading but, you can choose other options as well.
Note:If, you are upgrading from Windows 8 Enterprise then, you will only get the ‘Nothing’ option.
- Once selected, press ‘Next’ and installer will check your PC whether it’s ready or not.
- If you PC is ready and no problem is found, installer will show that ‘Read to install’ and you would also be showed what will happen in the installation process. Press ‘Install’.
- Your Windows 8.1 Preview will start installing. It might take a while to complete so sit back and have a cup of coffee.
- Once the installation has reached 100%, your PC will restart and this time you would be showed the Betta fish boot screen of Windows 8.1.
- Windows will configure your PC, install drives and other things. After several restarts, and screen flickering, you would be taken to the post-installation window where you would be asked to choose the coloring of Windows and then Wi-Fi settings followed by other privacy settings.
- Once all settings have been done, your PC will get ready and after few minutes you would be taken to Start Screen of your Windows 8.1.
- Congratulations! You have successfully upgraded to Windows 8.1 Preview from Windows 8 and your apps, settings and files would be there.
- That’s all!
You may visit our Tips & Tweaks section for more tips, tricks and tweaks about Windows 8.1.
People searched for the following terms to get here:
- windows 8 to 8 1 upgrade without store
- update to windows 8 1 without store
- download windows 8 1 update without store
- update windows 8 to 8 1 without store
- upgrade to windows 8 1 without store
- upgrade 8 to 8 1 without store
- upgrade to 8 1 without store
- update windows 8 to 8 1 without windows store
- how to update to windows 8 1 without store
- windows 8 1 upgrade download without store