Are you annoyed by few Windows 8 apps which keep running in the background and keep consuming memory? You can disable them easily by few clicks.
Windows 8 lets you run certain selective apps to run in the background to keep you updated with the latest news from that apps. Apps like News, Mail, People, Skype and more are set to run in the background to keep you updated with latest news, mails, notifications, newsfeeds, and messages but, these apps consume a little bit of memory while running in the background.
These background running apps start themselves when you login to your Windows 8 PC and they keeps running until stopped manually. Although, the background running apps are automatically terminated when your system needs more memory but, still sometimes the PC starts to lag just because of the background apps. Good news is that you can disable these kinds of apps from running in the background and they won’t start again without your permission.
Just follow the instructions below to stop these kinds of apps from running in the background.
- First of all, identify the app which is running the background. You can do so my going to Task Manager (search for Task Manager on Start Screen). Here you can see the apps that are running the in the background.
Note: Mail, Messaging, People and Calendar are showed in combined form as ‘Communications Service’. If, any of them is running then, this will appear in Task Manager.
- Once you have identified the apps which are running the background, simply open that app and go to settings Charms by pressing ‘Windows key + C’ and then selecting ‘Settings’.
- In settings select, ‘Permissions’ to go to the permissions menu.
- You would be showed all permission the app has. You would see the ‘Lock Screen’ option if, the app runs in background. Turn that off by moving the slider switch to the left side.
- Once turned off, your app will stop running in the background.
You can repeat the above process for all the apps which you want to stop from running in background.
You may visit our Tips & Tweaks section for more useful tips, tricks and tweaks about Windows 8.
Was this post helpful? Subscribe to Windows 8 Core Feeds, be our follower on Twitter, like us on Facebook or follow us on Google+ to keep yourself updated with all the latest Windows 8 news and Tips & Tweaks.
People searched for the following terms to get here:
- communications service windows 8
- how to stop apps running in background windows 8
- App Background Windows 8 1