Windows 8 Metro Apps are launch able from Metro-UI of Windows 8 but, there is also a way to launch the Metro apps from Windows Explorer. The Metro apps are opened from explorer like you are opening a desktop program but, the Metro apps launch in Metro interface. Using this awesome feature, you can disable the Metro-UI and still launch Metro apps.
If, you are willing to launch Metro apps from Explorer then, you will have to go through a simple but, important process to find the folder from where the Metro apps would be launched. We will guide you how to launch Metro apps from explorer as well as from desktop.
Just follow the instructions below and you would be able to launch Metro apps from Explorer in seconds.
- First of all, go to the folder from where you want to launch the Metro apps e.g. ‘D://’
Note: It can be any hard drive folder but, desktop is not recommended. We will tell how to launch from desktop later in this tutorial.
- Now, right click or press the ‘Windows’ button on your tablet. You should see a small pop-up menu.
- Here navigate to ‘New’ and select ‘Shortcut’ from sub menu.
- A pop-up window would open requiring you to enter the location of the shortcut. Here enter the following string exactly or the shortcut won’t work.
- Press ‘Next’ and name it anything you like.
- Press ‘Finish’ and you would see a shortcut in your folder. Open it up.
- A new folder would open named as ‘Applications’. You will find all your installed Metro and desktop apps in that folder.
- Open up any Metro app which you installed from Windows Store and it would launch like always in Metro interface.
- All the Metro apps are launch able from that folder.
- That’s all.
Launching apps from desktop
If, you want the Metro apps launch able from desktop then, its also possible but, you will get the Applications folder on desktop not individual apps.
- If, you followed the above instructions, then, go to the folder where you made that shortcut.
- Highlight the shortcut we made above, press right mouse button or ‘Windows’ button on your tablet to bring the pop-up menu.
- Here select ‘Send to’ and then, ‘Desktop (create shortcut)’. You would get a shortcut of that folder on your desktop.
- Opening the folder from desktop would also take you to the ‘Applications’ folder.
- That’s all.
Here is a quick video showing the same process
You may visit our RP Tips & Tweaks section for more awesome and useful tips, tricks and tweaks about Windows 8 Release Preview.
Was this post helpful? Subscribe to Windows 8 Core Feeds, be our follower on Twitter, like us on Facebook or follow us on Google+ to keep yourself updated with all the latest Windows 8 news and Tips & Tweaks.
People searched for the following terms to get here:
- command line to launch metro modern touch internet explorer
- how to launch metro app from batch file
- hyperlink to launch windows 8 app