Windows 8 Pro RTM don’t include Windows Media Center by default but, it is available as an paid upgrade which costs about $12.79 and you need to buy it in-order to get the upgrade key.
Microsoft announced that Windows 8 won’t get a pre-installed Media Center instead it would be available as an upgrade. Windows Media Center wasn’t included in Windows 8 Release Preview and it had to be activated using a key but, now, with Windows 8 RTM the case is different and everyone would have to but their own key.
You can buy and activate Windows Media Center by following the tutorial below:
- First of all, go to Start Screen and search for ‘Add features to Windows 8’. It would be showed in results, open it up.
- You would be taken to the desktop where the ‘Add features to Windows 8’ window would open.
- Here select ‘I want to buy product key online’.
- You would be taken to the next window where you would be showed the Windows 8 Media Center Pack which costs about $12.79.
Note: The price would be displayed in your local currency
- Press ‘Choose’ and you would be showed the payment details. Fill them and up and buy the key.
- When you have your key for ‘Windows 8 Media Center Pack’ simply, go back to the ‘Add feature to Windows 8’ and select ‘I already have a product key’.
- In the next window enter you product key and Windows will check for the validity of your key.
- When verified, press ‘Next’ and accept the license terms by checking the box and press ‘Add features’
- Windows will now add features to your installation.
- After the adding features process has finished, your PC would restart and install features.
- After restart, you would have the ‘Windows Media Center’ in your Windows 8 Pro RTM and you would be showed a Thanks window showing ‘you’re all done and your PC is ready to go’.
You may visit our Windows 8 RTM Tips & Tweaks section for more tips, tricks and tweaks about Windows 8 RTM.
The servers for Windows 8 Media Center have been taken and they aren’t expected to be made online until the launch of Windows 8 on October 26. So, its not possible to get the Media Center Pack right now. But, if you have the keys then, the Media Center can be activated in Windows 8 RTM using the above method.
Microsoft is offering Windows Media Center upgrade key for free. Head over to this link for more details.
Was this post helpful? Subscribe to Windows 8 Core Newsletter, be our follower on Twitter, like us on Facebook or follow us on Google+ to keep yourself updated with all the latest Windows 8 news and Tips & Tweaks.
People searched for the following terms to get here:
- windows 8 media center pack
- windows 8 media center key
- Windows 8 Media Center Install
- windows 8 install media center
- install media center on windows 8
- windows media center windows 8
- Windows 8 Media Center
- how to install windows media center windows 8
- install media center windows 8
- media center for windows 8 pro