Windows 8.1 Preview just like Windows 8 requires you to install the Media Center additionally as an add-on. Windows Media Center is very easy to install and you just need to have the key to enter which will add and install the Media in few minutes.
If you upgraded from Windows 8 Pro with Media Center to Windows 8.1 Preview through Store then, you would get the Media Center as an upgrade but, if you installed the Windows 8.1 Preview from alternate upgrade method or through the ISO file then, you will have to re-install the Media Center upgrade manually.
So, if you want to install Media Center in your Windows 8.1 Preview PC then, you are at the right place.
Before proceeding to the instructions, you need to fulfill few requirements:
- You would need to have a Media Center key which can be bought with Windows 8 Pro Pack from any online or local retailer.
- You must be running Windows 8.1 Pro Preview build 9413 if, you want to install Media Center.
Just follow the instructions to add and install the Media Center in your Windows 8.1 Preview.
- First of all, go to Start Screen by pressing the Windows key or by swiping from right and selecting the ‘Start‘.
- Once on Start Screen, type ‘add features to Windows’. You would be showed ‘Add feature to Windows 8.1 Preview’ in results. Press it.
- A pop-up window will open on desktop entitled as the ‘Add features to Windows 8.1 Preview’. Here you can either buy the key or choose to install the key which you used with Windows 8.
- If, you have your key, simply press the ‘I already have a product key’.
Note: You can’t buy a Media Center key using the ‘I want to buy a new product key online’ option because, it seems the servers are not up yet.
- You would be asked to enter your key in the next page. Once entered, you key would be validated and if, found legit, the ‘Next’ button will be enabled. Press it.
- Next, you would be asked to accept the term & conditions. Check ‘I accept the following terms’ after reading the provided terms and conditions. Once selected, press ‘Add features’ button.
- Windows will start installing the Media Center. After few minutes or maybe seconds, your PC will restart automatically so, you better save all your unsaved work.
- After adding features to Windows, your PC would restart and after restart, the ‘add features’ process would be completed.
- Once completed, you would be asked to sign-in and once signed-in. Go to desktop and you would be showed ‘Thanks, you’re done and your PC is ready to go’. You close close that window.
- Congratulations! You now have the Media Center installed on your Windows 8.1 Pro Preview and you can find the Media Center by going to the ‘All apps’ section of Start Screen.
- Your Windows branding will also be changed to ‘Windows 8.1 Pro Preview with Media Center’.
- That’s all!
Here is a quick video showing the same process.
Windows lost its activation?
If you lost the activation of your Windows 8.1 Preview just like me then, you may re-activate the Windows by going to ‘PC Settings’ > ‘Activate Windows’.
Note: Don’t change your Windows key instead, activate again.
FYI: Losing activation seems to be a bug of Windows 8.1 and since, it’s a Preview this hopefully won’t be present in final version.
You may visit our Tips & Tweaks section for more tips, tricks and tweaks about Windows 8.1.
Was this post helpful? Subscribe to Windows 8 Core Newsletter, be our follower on Twitter, like us on Facebook or follow us on Google+ to keep yourself updated with all the latest Windows 8 news and Tips & Tweaks.
People searched for the following terms to get here:
- I upgraded to Windows 8 1 and cant get media now
- Media center problems on windows 8 1
- Windows 8 1 installation media
- windows 8 1 media center download