If, you are a MSDN subscriber then, you might be familiar with the Akamai download manager. Akamai download manager is a normal download manager suggested by Microsoft to download items from MSDN and other sites. The Akamai download manager lets you download the items in more reliable way and you can resume the download from where you left hence, you get the resume capability.
But, with the release of Windows 8 and Internet Explorer 10, Akamai download manager doesn’t seem to work. If, you try to download anything from Microsoft’s servers like MSDN/TechNet then, your browser’s (Internet Explorer’s) download manager will open instead of Akamai.
Although, other download manager especially that of Internet Explorer give you the same download speed but, if, the download breaks somehow, then, you won’t have the ability to resume it and you will have to restart the download again from scratch.
Well, I was having the same problem and had to download Windows 8 Pro from MSDN but, was having problems downloading with the Akamai download manager. After searching a lot on internet I couldn’t find the possible way to download using Akamai but, then, I decided to download from MSDN using the Internet Explorer 10 in Internet Explorer 9’s compatibility settings and was successful.
What’s the problem?
After spending hours trying to understand, I figured out that the download from MSDN using Internet Explorer was a compatibility problem which was restricting me from downloading using Akamai download manager.
If, you are one of the people trying to download from MSDN/TechNet or/and other platform using Akamai download manager then, you will have to try the following solution to succeed.
You can follow the instructions below to download from MSDN/TechNet using Akamai download manager in Internet Explorer 10 of Windows 8.
First of all, you would need to do a bit of changing in the settings of Internet Explorer 10.
- Open up the Internet Explorer 10 on your desktop and then, press the gear icon on the top right corner of window.
- A drop down menu will open. Here select ‘F12 developer tools’.
- The develop tools will open at the bottom of Internet Explorer screen.
- You will see the ‘Browser Mode: IE10’ option. Press it.
- You would be showed a bunch of browser options. Here press ‘Internet Explorer 9’
- Once selected, the web pages open in your browser will reload.
Now, when you have changed the browser mode of Internet Explorer 10 on your Windows 8/RT PC, lets proceed to the download process.
- Login to your MSDN/TechNet account and start downloading the item you wish to download using Akamai download manager.
- This time you would be showed a small message on the bottom on the screen asking to install an add-on. Press ‘Install’.
- Internet Explorer will ask for your permission. Press ‘Allow’.
- Next, you would be asked to select the save location of the file. Select your desired one and press ‘Save’.
- Now, the download will start in Akamai download manager.
- That’s all! You would be able to download the item from MSDN/TechNet using the Akamai download manager with resume capability.
Note: If, you decide to resume a stopped download after closing Akamai download manager using the link on desktop, you will have to change the browser mode of Internet Explorer again to Internet Explorer 9 again, to resume download.
You may visit our Tips & Tweaks section for more tips, tricks and tweaks about Windows 8.
Was this post helpful? Subscribe to Windows 8 Core Newsletter, be our follower on Twitter, like us on Facebook or follow us on Google+ to keep yourself updated with all the latest Windows 8 news and Tips & Tweaks.
People searched for the following terms to get here:
- msdn download manager
- Akamai Download Manager
- msdn downloader
- msdn windows 10
- download from akamai ie 10
- microsoft akame download with ie 11
- akmai download manager ie11
- Akamai download manager not loading
- akamai download manager for msdn