Microsoft has finally launched the long awaited Windows 10 Technical Preview build for Phones and some of the users can download it right away on their Lumia Windows Phones. The update can be downloaded right now on all supported devices.
If you are willing to test out the latest features of Windows 10 for Phones then, you may follow the instructions below. Requirements:
- You must have the supported Lumia 630, Lumia 635, Lumia 636, Lumia 638, Lumia 730 and Lumia 830.
- You will need to have an active Wi-Fi connection to download the update
Your Windows Phone 8.1 is not listed in the supported devices? Follow instructions in this article to install on any non-supported Lumia Windows Phone 8.1 device.
- Simply download the Windows Insider app on your Windows Phone running Windows Phone 8.1 and sign in with your Microsoft account.
- You must be enrolled in the Windows Insider Program in-order to be able to download and install the Windows 10 Technical Preview for Phones but, you can enroll now by going to insider.windows.com.
- Once enrolled in the Insider Program and signed in with Microsoft account, simply press the ‘Get Preview Build‘ button and you would be asked to select from ‘Insider Fast’ or ‘Insider Slow’ ring. Select ‘Insider Fast’ and press the next button.
- You would be asked to accept the terms and conditions. Press ‘Accept’.
- Now, you phone will ask for confirmation. Once confirmed, your Phone will restart.
- After restart, simply go to the ‘Settings’ > ‘Phone update’. Here press ‘Check for update’ and you will have the ‘Windows 10 Technical Preview for Phone’ available for download.
- Your phone will restart and go into update mode i.e. gear icons. It can take 15-20 minutes.
Note: It can take much longer to install the Windows 10 for Phone on your Lumia device if, you have a lot of data on your phone. So, be patient! It took me 30 minutes to install the update.
- After restart, your Phone will migrate the data. Once migrated, your Phone will go to the lock screen of Windows 10 for Phone.
- That’s all! Enjoy Windows 10 on your Phone.
You may visit our Windows Phone 10 section for complete coverage of Windows 10 for Phones.