Yesterday, we got the chance to test out the Metro Firefox for Windows 8 which was an un-official and pre-beta version of Mozilla’s browser for Windows 8 but, we didn’t provided the download links as well as the installation guide. You might be wondering why someone would need the installation guide, that’s because it’s not official version and the installation of this Metro Firefox is not similar to other Metro apps of Windows 8.
The installation needs to be done from a different way but, don’t worry if, you are willing to test the Metro Firefox then, this tutorial will be very helpful for you. Just follow the instructions below and you will be able to install the Metro Firefox in minutes.
- This version of Metro Firefox for Windows 8 is not an official one and it’s full of bugs.
- Also, some feature may not work as expected so, install it on your own risk. Windows8Core.com or its team won’t be held responsible if, you mess up your Windows 8 or something else.
- The Metro Firefox is the property of Mozilla and is downloadable from Mozilla’s own ftp directory (links below). Mozilla holds the rights to modify or remove the files anytime. We are just providing the steps to install.
You will need to download the zipped files of Metro Firefox before installation whose links can be found here. Simply download the ‘firefox-18.0a1.en-US.win32.zip’ file or click this link to start downloading the file.
- First of all, unzip the files using any software. You can use the Windows 8’s extractor tool.
- Now, after unzipping, simply open the unzipped folder and then navigate to the following”
- In ‘install’ folder you would see many files. Open up the ‘zipbuildsetup’ file.
- You would be asked for permission by Windows. Simply press ‘Run’.
- Command Prompt would open. Let the commands run until you see the ‘Press any key to continue’. Press any.
- You command prompt would close.
- Now, go back to the ‘install’ folder. You would see few more files there.
- Open up ‘registerbrowser’ file. Give permissions if, asked for any. You would be warned about registry edit, simply press ‘Yes’.
- Your registry would be edited and you would be showed a confirmation message.
- Go back to the ‘install’ folder and this time open the ‘createshortcut’ file. Your Metro Firefox would be installed.
- Go to Start Screen and look for the Metro Firefox icon tile at the end. Open it.
Note: As mentioned earlier, it’s an under development version of Firefox which makes it Nightly build. Don’t worry, it has all the feature of Firefox.
Desktop version opens?
Whenever, you would run Metro Firefox from Start Screen, the desktop version will open. That’s because Firefox isn’t your default browser.
- When the desktop version is opened, you would be asked to make ‘Nightly’ the default browser. Press ‘Yes’
- A pop-up menu would open requiring you to select the browser. Select ‘Nightly’ again.
- Now, close Firefox and go to Start Screen and press the ‘Metro Firefox’.
- This time your Metro version of Firefox would open.
Were you able to get the Metro Firefox running? Let us know in the comments below.
Mozilla has finally announced the Metro Firefox for Windows 8 and its is available for download. You can read about more features and downloads here.