Microsoft’s Windows have been carrying the features of hiding the drives from My Computer since it was first released. Keeping its tradition, Microsoft has kept this amazing feature in Windows 8 Developer Preview. You can hide your drives from other users using the same PC.
You need to go through some specific files and then select enable in-order to hide your specific drive. The steps of hiding the drives is a bit difficult but if done properly you can hide you drives in a matter of few seconds.
Just follow the steps below to hide the drives from My Computer:
- Press ‘Windows + R’ to go ‘Run’ app
- Press ‘ok’
- ‘Local Group Policy Editor’ should open in a pop-up window
- Navigate to
User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Explorer
- In the ‘Windows explorer’ tab, you would see a number of settings which can be configured to make changes to Windows. Open up ‘Hide These Specific Drives From My Computer’. It should be on the 25th number by default.
- Another pop-up window would open.
- Select ‘Enabled’ and choose the drive you want to hide from My Computer from the drop down menu
- Press ‘ok’
- Now, Go to ‘My Computer‘ and the drive you choose would be hidden
- That’s all
Note: This tip only hides the drive from my computer. However, the hidden drive can be accessed from other means like a run command, command prompt, navigation pane etc. You can change the restriction of the drives by visiting the article published by Windows 8 Core on How to Restrict Access to Disk Drives in Windows 8 Developer Preview
People searched for the following terms to get here:
- hide drive windows 8
- windows 8 hide drive
- how to hide a drive in windows 8
- hide drive in windows 8
- hide hard drive windows 8
- how to hide drives in windows 8
- drive hide from guest account win8
- how to hide a hard drive on windows 10
- win8 hide my drive