Windows 8.1 is now available for download as a free upgrade from Store but, unfortunately, the Store download is very slow and some people can’t even see update in Store. Although, there is an alternate method to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 but, that method may not be suitable for everyone.
You can also perform a clean installation of Windows 8.1 but, after installation you have to use your Windows 8 key to activate it using phone which may get a bit difficult.
If you are one of the people who want to download and install the Windows 8.1 and also want it to be pre-activated once you sign-in to the Windows 8.1 then, you are at right place. There is now a way to download the Windows 8.1 ISO file officially from Microsoft which would include your Windows 8 key and on installation, your Windows will be activated automatically.
Just follow the instructions below and you will be able to download and install Windows 8.1 using your Windows 8 key which will also activate your Windows automatically.
Before proceeding to the instructions, you need to fulfill the following requirements.
- You will need to keep your Windows 8 key handy since, we will be providing it right at the start and it would be needed to start the download process.
- First of all, you need to download the ISO file. Go to this link and download both Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 installer files by pressing ‘Install Windows 8‘ and ‘Install Windows 8.1‘ buttons.
- Once downloaded, run the installer named ‘Windows8-Setup’. The installer will ask for your Windows 8 product key. Enter your Windows 8 or Windows 8 Pro key.
- If your keys is correct, your ‘Next’ button will be enabled. Press ‘Next’.
- You will be showed the version of Windows 8 which would be downloaded e.g. My Windows 8 Pro was being downloaded.
- Press ‘Next’ to proceed. Installer will start downloading the Windows 8.
- Now comes the trick. Once the installer reaches 1% download, exit the installer by pressing the close button.
- Now, launch the second installer named ‘WindowsSetupBox’. The installer will show that the download was incomplete and do you want to proceed with that one. Select ‘Yes’ and now, Windows will resume downloading the Windows 8.1 instead of Windows 8.
- Let the download complete. Once completed, you will have the option to mount the ISO to a media or save the ISO file. Select your desired one.
- Now, you can install the Windows 8.1 like a normal Windows as a clean installation or upgrade your Windows 8 to 8.1.
Note: It is recommended that you upgrade your Windows 8 to 8.1 since, performing a clean installation will require a Windows 8.1 key and your Windows 8 key won’t let you install Windows.
- Once installed, you won’t have to manually activate Windows since, you already used your Windows 8 key in upgrade process and it will be activated automatically.
- That’s all!
You may visit our Tips & Tweaks section for more tips, tricks and tweaks about Windows 8.1.
Was this post helpful? Subscribe to Windows 8 Core Newsletter, be our follower on Twitter, like us on Facebook or follow us on Google+ to keep yourself updated with all the latest Windows 8 news and Tips & Tweaks.
People searched for the following terms to get here:
- activate windows 8 1
- how to activate windows 8 1
- activate windows 8 1 with windows 8 key
- windows 8 1 activation key
- how to instal windows 8 key
- how to install windows 8 1 with ebay key
- how to activate windows 8 1 for free
- Install Windows 8 1 Activation Key
- once the windows 8 1 is activated can you bb download apps
- Windows 8 1 Core Activator