Battery consumption has always been an issue on Windows devices and it is always annoying to track down the elements which are draining your laptop or tablet’s battery. Although, Windows 8.1 includes a Battery meter which lets you see your battery status e.g. how much battery is remaining but, you can’t see which apps are consuming how much battery.
If you looking for a way to check how much battery is being consumed and what settings may be affecting the battery performance of your Windows 8.1 laptop or tablet then, you are at right place.
Simply follow the instructions below and you will be able see which settings and app may be draining your battery.
- First of all, open up the search charm by pressing ‘Windows key + S’ on keyboard or by swiping from right and selecting ‘Search’ while using a touch screen.
- Your Search Charm will open. Here type ‘cmd’.
- Command Prompt will be showed in results. Long tap or right click it and select ‘Run as administrator’.
- You would be taken to desktop where Windows will ask you to allow the software to make changes to your computer. Press ‘Yes’.
- Command Prompt will open. Here type the following command:
- Now, again type the following command:
- Here copy and paste the following command:
Tip: You can use the paste command in command prompt by pressing right click or long tapping in the text area and selecting ‘paste’.
- Press ‘Enter’.
- Now, paste the following:
- Now, let the command prompt run for 60 seconds while it is tracing your PC.
- After 60 seconds, you will be showed a short status where errors, warnings and informational count about your laptop/tablet’s battery would be showed.
- You can also view the detailed report and specific reasons by going to ‘C:’ > ‘Users’ > [User Profile e.g Ahmad Wahid]. Here you will see a file named ‘energy report’. Open it
- The report will show all the errors, warnings and other information about your battery. Here errors might be reason for your battery drainage e.g. my laptop’s screen timeout time was disabled which lets you conserve batter. You can try to fix individual errors which will let you get more juice out of your device’s battery.
- That’s all!
You may visit our Tips & Tweaks section for more tips, tricks and tweaks about Windows 8.1.