If you are one of the people who decided to install the Windows 8.1 from scratch as a clean installation using the ISO files and own a Windows 8 key which you want to activate Windows 8.1 then, you are not alone. This is possible thanks to Windows 8.1 being a free update for Windows 8 but, Windows 8.1 clean installation doesn’t allow the Windows 8 key to be used in installation. So, you have to use the installation key to continue the installation process. Details about installing Windows 8.1 from scratch can be found here.
If you managed to install the Windows 8.1 using an installation key, you will find out that the Windows 8.1 isn’t activated using the installation key. And, you can’t simply change the product key of your Windows 8.1 and replace it with the Windows 8 one. But, changing the key and activating Windows 8.1 using your Windows 8 key is possible by using an alternate and a bit complicated method.
Follow the instructions below to activate your Windows 8.1 RTM installation using your legit Windows 8 key.
Note: You must be running Windows 8.1 Core or Pro RTM build 9600 and own a legit Windows 8 key to activate your copy of Windows 8.1 using the method mentioned below. This trick doesn’t work on Windows 8.1 Enterprise RTM.
Disclaimer: This tutorial is based on functional trick to activate Windows 8.1 using your Windows 8 key and doesn’t provide or depict any illegal action. Windows8Core.com or its team or partners won’t be held responsible for any loss, whatever, it may be caused to you after following this tutorial. Follow the instructions below at your own risk.
- First of all, you need to disable the internet connection otherwise, Windows will automatically attempt to activate your copy of Windows which we don’t want it to do. It can be done by going go to Start Screen and typing ‘network and sharing center’.
- Here disable the internet connection either by disconnecting internet or by disabling it.
- Now, open up the Search Charm by swiping from right and selecting ‘Search’ or pressing ‘Winkey + S’.
- Your Search Charm will open. Here type ‘cmd’.
- Command Prompt will be showed in results. Don’t press it instead, right click it or tap and hold onto it. A small pop-up context menu will open. Press ‘Run as administrator’.
- You would be taken to desktop where Windows will ask for your permission to let the program make changes to your PC. Press ‘Yes’.
- Command Prompt will open with administrator privileges. Here copy the command from below and paste it in the command prompt.
Note: xxxxx would be replaced with your 25 digit key of Windows 8
slmgr.vbs -ipk xxxxx – xxxxx – xxxxx – xxxxx -xxxxx
Tip:‘CTRL + V’ keyboard shortcut won’t work in command prompt so, right click in command prompt or tap and hold to open context menu. Press ‘Paste’ from context menu and press ‘Enter’.
- If done properly, you would be showed a pop-up message that ‘Installed product key xxxxx – xxxxx – xxxxx – xxxxx -xxxxx successfully’. Press ‘Ok’
- Now, go back to command prompt and paste the following:
- A pop-up menu will open asking you to select your region or country. Select ‘United Kingdom’.
Note: It is important that you select United Kingdom since, currently, Windows 8.1 can only be activated from there. Also, it won’t effect the region or country of your Windows 8.1 PC.
- Next you would be showed the installation ID of your PC. Here you may enable the internet connection again.
- Now open up the Skype app by going to Start Screen and pressing the Skype tile or searching for it by just typing ‘Skype’ while on Start Screen.
- Once Skype is open, press the phone icon just beside the Skype logo to open up the Skype dial pad.
- Here select ‘United Kingdom‘ from the drop down list of country to call and dial the following toll free number.
Note: This Skype call doesn’t cost you anything.
- You would be connected to the automated Microsoft activation call center. Here press ‘1‘ for home user and then, ‘1‘ again for the activation of just one PC.
Note: Don’t press any number other than 1 in any of the options or you may not be able to activate your Windows 8.1 PC and your key may also get black listed for spam activation try.
- Once you reach the part of call where you are asked to provide the installation ID of your device, enter the 6 digit code of each column once asked for it.
Note:Make sure you enter the code correctly otherwise, you may not be able to get the exact activation code to activate your Windows 8.1 copy.
- Once you have provided the installation id correctly, the automated system will check your installation ID and will provide you the activation code.
- Enter your activation code correctly column by column and when done, press ‘Activate Windows’ to activate your copy of Windows 8.1 legally using your Windows 8 key.
- Your Windows 8.1 would be activated and you can personalize your Windows and sync settings from Microsoft accounts.
- That’s all!
Here is a quick video showing the fully activated Windows 8.1 using the same method and Windows 8 Pro key.
You may visit our Tips & Tweaks section for more tips, tricks and tweaks about Windows 8.1
Was this post helpful? Subscribe to Windows 8 Core Newsletter, be our follower on Twitter, like us on Facebook or follow us on Google+ to keep yourself updated with all the latest Windows 8 news and Tips & Tweaks.
People searched for the following terms to get here:
- windows blue activation
- Activate Windows 8 Pro Keys
- 8 1 pro preveiw wont activate
- windiws 8 1 activating legally
- remove you need to activate window in windows 8 1
- window 8 1 activate key
- window 8 1 key activate
- windows8 1 core activated
- window 8 key
- windows 8 1 activate